Friday, February 8, 2013

Blog Assignment #4

http://www.raakesh.com/podcast-drupal-good-from-seo-prospective
Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting

Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting was the first podcast that I listened to. I enjoyed reading the blog before the podcast. The blog discussed that the second graders were learning the story of Purim, and the teachers decided to let the students make a podcast to share on the class blog. When listening to the podcast, it was amazing at how enthusiastic these students were. It was obvious that the students enjoyed learning Hebrew and creating their project. At first, the students were defining Hebrew words, and I thought it was cute. However, the students then began to speak full sentences in Hebrew. I was amazed! I did not understand anything these second graders were saying, but I could hear the enthusiasm in their voices. This project was great. It allowed second graders to learn how to listen and comprehend. While these students were learning to speak their Hebrew sentences fluently, they were also engaged in learning how to use technology. After recording and listening to their sentences, they were able to use their smart board and create their project.

Flat Stanley Podcast

The next podcast I listened to was the Flat Stanley Podcast. The blog first discussed the project assigned to the first graders. They read the book Flat Stanley, and their assignment was to create a short script describing where their Flat Stanley was going and when he would get back home. I loved listening to the podcast. These first graders really enjoyed reading the book, and the enthusiasm was evident in their voices. The students spoke very clearly and with a lot of energy. I loved listening to the children describe the different states and countries they visited while they were flat. My favorite journey was the visit to Tokyo, Japan. I loved Josh's description of what kind of sushi he ate, and sumo wrestlers who looked like they were wearing diapers. This was a fun project that allowed students use technology while learning to locate the countries they visited and fun facts about different places in the world. They are using technology, but at the same time, they are learning about the world.

1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audio Book

The last podcast I listened to was 1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audio Book. The blog discusses the process behind creating the podcast. The students recorded the script, and booklets were created so that the first graders could follow along while the podcast was playing. Silvia Tolisano addressed her reactions to the podcast. She thought the students learned valuable skills. Creating a podcast helped the students to learn how to speak fluently, enunciate, and experiment with their voices through pitch, volume, emotions, and speed as they were reading. Following along with the script also helped students understand how to read sentences ending with different punctuations such as a question mark. I loved listening to the podcast. I also enjoyed being able to follow along with the script as I was listening to the podcast. These first graders did a great job at reading the script and put a lot of emotion into what they were reading.

I enjoyed listening to all of these podcasts and reading the blogs. I learned a lot about what goes into making a podcast. I learned that podcasting is not just about the technology the students are using but is also about the skills students are learning while creating a podcast. These would be great ideas to use in the classroom. I loved the sound effects and music played in the podcast, and I could definitely see myself using these ideas to create my own podcast.

3 comments:

  1. I will definitely go back and read the Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting! Second graders learning Hebrew is phenomenal! Especially when they learn to fluently speak at least a sentence. That is absolutely wonderful.
    I also enjoyed the first graders creating their own read-along audio book. They really did put in a lot of emotion into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning....that is what it is all about.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley!! I really enjoyed reading your blog,keep up the good work. I agree with you on how it is amazing how the students picked up on the Hebrew language. I also enjoyed the 1st graders and their reading the podcast.

    ReplyDelete