Tuesday, March 5, 2013

C4T#2

http://scholastic-scribe.blogspot.com
Summary of Melissa B's Blog Post #1

Melissa's blog post was Two Turtle Doves. She began her post by describing the duties of teachers at her school at the beginning of the new year. Seniors are filling out college applications and need recommendations. So, she spends a lot of time at the first of the year writing recommendations for her students. She then described what she would like to see happen at her school in 2013. First on her list of what she would like to see happen in the new year was to have fewer meetings. She feels that these meetings, which discuss how the staff is teaching, take away from valuable classroom time. She also hopes that in the new year, the school could focus more on academics and less on athletics. She was disappointed that the Career Center at her school, which helps students search for colleges and scholarships and prepare for other real world tasks, was moved from its spot at the beginning of the year. Replacing the Career Center was the Director of Student Activities which has also been called the Athletic Director. She would also like more recognition for the hard work of her AP Language Students' 100% pass rate on the national exam they took last year. Also, she hopes the school will be more open to new ideas and that her students will learn how to examine both sides of an issue.

Summary of My Comment #1

My name is Ashley Showles. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I am reading your blog post for my class. I will summarize your blog, along with my comment, and post it on my blog in two weeks. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. It was very humorous. As a future high school teacher, I have come to realize that a lot of my time will be spent in faculty meetings. Also, athletics is an important part of where I attended school as well. I believe more of an emphasis should be placed on academics than athletics. I think it is awesome that your students had a 100% pass rate. Schools need more teachers who are motivated and willing to provide the best education to their students. I really enjoyed reading your blog post.

Summary of Melissa B's Blog Post #2

Melissa did have a new blog post. However, it was more of a housekeeping post because she discussed the snowfall that they were facing up north. So, I looked through her older posts and found one about the Sandy Hook shooting. However, I wanted to find a post that was about education. I read one of her blog posts titled By the Numbers. In this blog post, she discusses that she teaches AP English Language to 11th graders. She also discusses that language can be a difficult subject, so she decided to hold a workshop. After the workshop, a student that she did not teach came by her classroom for help. She helped the student with her work but felt guilty because she was helping another teacher's student. When she finished helping the student, the child thanked her because she now understood what she was supposed to do.

Summary of My Comment #2

I enjoyed reading your blog post. I do not understand why a teacher would become defensive if their student went to another teacher for help. As a student, I find it easier to go to certain teachers for help. I viewed the student's behavior as a compliment because she felt like you would be able to help her solve the problem she was facing on her assignment. I think it was great that you were willing to help this child.

No comments:

Post a Comment